Thursday, July 21, 2005

Iiiinteresting

Ok.. this is about the Bible and homosexuality.

The more I discover about this kind of thing, the more it really bothers me.

I have already spoken out about the writings of Saul (Paul, I refuse to call him a saint).. and how they are used as justification for all kinds of nasty things, including persecution of women, homosexuals, and condoning of slavery, so that should be well known by now.

One person responded to me by saying that homosexuality is mentioned in the story of Sodom and Gomorrha. Where? I just read the King James version of this. The line in question is this one:

And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
Now, the justification for this is found in the word "know" which some suppose to mean "have sex". WHAT??? Ok.. let's look at the same verse in the New International version of the Bible:

They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
This is a FUCKING STRETCH if I've ever heard one. How do we get from "know" to "have sex"? This is why I believe strongly that each subsequent translation of the bible is slanted even more than the last towards a certain point of view. The first version of the verse is questionable. It *might* have meant sex, or it most likely meant that the men wanted to see the strange men to determine if they were a threat or not. I realize that lot offered up his daughters in their stead, but this proves nothing.

Does this mean that the following verses can also be construed as meaning "have sex"?
2And if thy brother be not nigh unto thee, or if thou know him not, then thou shalt bring it unto thine own house, and it shall be with thee until thy brother seek after it, and thou shalt restore it to him again.


15And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.

16But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.



4And Jacob said unto them, My brethren, whence be ye? And they said, Of Haran are we.

5And he said unto them, Know ye Laban the son of Nahor? And they said, We know him.

6And he said unto them, Is he well? And they said, He is well: and, behold, Rachel his daughter cometh with the sheep.


Aha! There seems to be much nasty buggery and sex either going on, or being thought about all over the Bible. HOW can people infer that the word "know" is absolutely about "have sex"?

It seems this is a pretty weak argument for God being against homosexuality. For the record, I don't condone it one way or the other, and the thought of men having sex is kinda gross, but it's not up to me to tell others they can't do it, and it's not up to me (or anyone) to say that "God hates it".

1 Comments:

Blogger Me! said...

I think the fact that you're willing to think about it in an objective way, --and not just accept that everything taught is 'the facts' of the bible, shows you are of high intellect. It speaks volumes of a person when they are willing to think outside of the box. I wish more people I came across in my day to day lives did the same.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home